Pickling Gel - 2kg Bottle For Treatment Of Stainless Corrosion

Pickling Gel - 2kg Bottle For Treatment Of Stainless Corrosion

Regular price
£94.50 ex VAT
£113.40 inc. VAT
  • Product Description

    Powerful gel with soap like appearance. Removes corrosion on stainless steel simple and effective. Also usable as aluminium pickling agent.


    Stainless steel is usually treated to recover its corrosion resistance after operations such as welding, annealing, bending etc. A good and frequently used surface treatment is pickling. Pickling stainless steel is usually done with a strong acidic solution consisting of nitric acid and hydrofluoric acid. Improperly used, these chemicals can be dangerous to both people and the environment. In addition, chemical reactions take place during the pickling that release dangerous vapours. Therefore, to reduce the risk of hazardous situations arising or accidents occurring, it is important that the dangers associated with pickling products are recognised and that the safety rules are observed..

    General safety rules

    It is important that the product Data sheets are always read carefully. They contain relevant information about the use of products. Unsuitable application of products can lead to hazardous situations. Product information sheets often refer to the safety data sheet (MSDS). Information provided in the safety data sheet includes personal protection requirements, the nature of the dangers involved and product physical data.

    The legally required universal danger symbols on product labels make the dangers clear at a glance.

    A stainless steel pickling solution consists of hydrofluoric acid and nitric acid. Acids are corrosive (irritating) chemicals that are capable of causing serious skin burns. Inhalation of acidic vapour can cause breathing difficulties and a sore throat. Acidic vapours can be identified by a pungent and irritating smell.

    Hydrofluoric acid is present in diluted form in the pickling solution. In spite of this dilution, the mixture is still very poisonous. Poisoning is particularly likely to be caused by inhalation of the material. Contact with the skin can cause very serious burns and the hydrofluoric acid molecule will penetrate the skin and react with calcium in the blood or bone.
    If the skin has been in contact with the stainless steel pickling solution it must be rinsed off immediately with a large quantity of clean water, and subsequently rubbed with a special HF ointment. This ointment contains calcium gluconate that binds the fluoride and limits the damage.

    Personal protection equipment

    Dipping. The solution is contained in a bath in which the stainless steel is immersed for a specific time. Splashes or drops of acid can cause hazardous situations when the stainless steel pieces are being placed into or removed from the bath. Acid-resistant gloves, clothing and safety goggles are the minimal essentials required with regard to personal protection equipment.

  • Customer Reviews